We are thrilled to say that Protiviti’s very own Matt Kozlowski has been selected by Internal Auditor magazine as an Emerging Leader in the field of internal audit! Matt is a Senior Manager in our Houston, TX office.
You may find yourself thinking, “How does a guy like Matt become an Emerging Leader?” or “Hey, didn’t I see this guy on the brochure that I got from Protiviti at a career fair last month?”. I reached out to Matt to discuss these same topics. Here’s what he had to say.
- What is your background? “I went to LSU and graduated with a B.S. in Accounting and a concentration in Internal Audit. I interned during the summers of 2007 and 2008, and started full time at Protiviti in June 2009.”
- Why do you enjoy working in internal audit? “I enjoy the variety in project work. Every internal audit project varies in the scope of the project, the duration, the people involved, the transactions reviewed, the style of report, etc. That keeps the work fresh and exciting. I also like being able to work with individuals in various departments within an organization (Finance, Accounting, Tax, Treasury, Supply Chain, Operations, etc.) We do not work “in a silo” in Internal Audit, which is great!”
- What is one of your favorite Protiviti memories? “One of my favorite Protiviti memories is traveling to Singapore for a client project. I had never been so far from home, and experiencing another culture (both in and out of the office) was an amazing experience. We were definitely busy, but found some time to explore Singapore outside of work. “
- What advice would you give a new consultant who is just starting his or her internal audit career? “My advice would be to keep in touch with classmates and colleagues at other firms. Expanding and maintaining your network is crucial to career development. Having several strong business relationships is mutually beneficial, and allows for knowledge sharing and career development. The more time and effort you put in to developing your network, the more you will get out of it.”
- How are you celebrating this exciting accomplishment? “I’m taking a big trip to Australia and New Zealand in April and will definitely celebrate then. In the meantime, I plan to celebrate with an LSU bowl game victory. Geaux Tigers!”
Congratulations to Matt and to all of the Emerging Leaders! To read more about this recognition, click here.