Over the past several days, my heart has been breaking for the devastation happening in Houston and the surrounding areas. I started at Protiviti in our Houston office, and although I have moved away, I maintain a special connection to that group of people and to the broader community.
It’s hard not to feel helpless as you see family, colleagues, friends and strangers band together to get through Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath. If you are feeling like me and asking yourself, “How can I help?”, check out some ideas below.
- Donate to a charity – The American Red Cross, The United Way, The Houston Food Bank and many others are all taking donations to help out the Houston community during this time.
- Volunteer your time – Groups such as the American Red Cross and Volunteer Houston are desperately looking for those that can help.
- Buy some jewelry – Today only, Kendra Scott will donate 50% of all online purchases to the American Red Cross in support of disaster relief for Hurricane Harvey.
- Purchase a t-shirt – Chip and Joanna Gaines are selling t-shirts to support victims of Hurricane Harvey.
- Collect Supplies – Groups such as The Texas Diaper Bank and The Houston Food Bank, are collecting supplies to help victims now and in the weeks to follow.
- Foster a pet – The SPCA of Texas and many others have hundreds of animals that need temporary homes will their current facilities are not usable.
- Donate blood – as in any natural disaster, the local hospitals can always use extra donations.
We will continue to keep Houston and our team in our hearts in the days ahead.