During our final week of Protiviti Women in IT spotlights, we would like to introduce you to Jana Struewing.
Jana received a B.S. in Accounting and Technology Management as well as a Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) from Indiana University. She started her career with the Protiviti Chicago office as an intern in 2011, and then began working full-time in the Internal Audit and Financial Advisory Technology practice in 2012. Her experiences include performing IT SOX Compliance walk-through’s and testing and cloud computing / email services audit.
When we had some time to connect with Jana, we asked her the following questions:
- What attracted you to Protiviti? “When I was going through the interview process I never felt nervous or uncomfortable, which I attribute to the quality of people that Protiviti hires. Everyone was so welcoming and easy-going during each phase of interviews. I felt like I was joining a company where I could make an impact, accomplish my professional goals, and experience new challenges… all while making new friends!”
- What excites you the most about your work in IT? “I think since the industry is constantly changing and growing, it makes it an exciting industry to work within. Even on clients I have year-over-year, there is always a new problem to solve or new technology to work with. I like learning in this constantly growing atmosphere!”
- What has been the biggest challenge you have faced working in IT? “I think one of the biggest challenges within the IT field is keeping up with the constantly changing environment. There are always new frameworks or systems to learn and work with that you have to keep organized.”
- Where do you see Protiviti in the IT space in the next 5 years? “I think we will continue to expand our solutions and offerings into new hot topics that arise in the IT space. I have seen a great response in our service offerings in the past few years to enhance areas such as cybersecurity and data analytics. I think these will continue to grow as possible service needs from our clients.”
- Who has played a critical role in the development in your career? “I have had a great formal mentor through my Senior Manager, Seth. Ever since I started with Protiviti, Seth has helped me develop and find new ways of expanding my reach (whether it be an internal initiative or client work). I also received a lot of support and development feedback from my Associate Director, Angelo, throughout our client work together. I have found that almost any employee in Protiviti can be a great source for development, no matter their level. There are lots of little things that can be taken away from each personal interaction or project worked on that can be used for personal and professional growth.”
- What do you enjoy doing outside of work? “I love to travel and see new places with my family and friends! I also love exploring around Chicago. I have lived here for almost 4 years now but I feel like I am always finding a new restaurant to try or a new neighborhood to explore! I still love all things Indiana Hoosiers and am a season ticket holder for both Football and Basketball. So I love traveling back to campus for sporting events!”
Thanks Jana for being one of our Protiviti Women in IT spotlights! We appreciate your leadership and your valuable career and life insights.