Here at Protiviti, we believe in the power of a strong mentor. Someone who can help shape and guide your career, be your advocate and cheerleader for those big professional goals, and act as a role model to craft your professional story. That’s why each of our campus hires, including our interns, receives multiple mentors at different levels within the company.
This week, we are celebrating our Executive Advisors and the role they play in our interns’ experience. In doing so, we are going to spotlight some of these Executive Advisors here on the blog. From the Managing Directors who started it all, to the ones bringing in fresh, new ideas, we appreciate and learn from their wisdom and guidance. To kick us off, let’s meet Rick!
- Years at Protiviti – “I am a founding member of Protiviti and have been at the Firm from inception, 14 years ago.”
- Path to Protiviti – “I joined Protiviti day one from Arthur Andersen. I have an undergraduate degree from Rutgers University and a graduate degree from Rider University. I am a CPA, MBA and CRMA.”
- Current Solution and/or Industry focus – “I focus on the internal audit side of financial services.”
- Why is being a mentor important to you? – “There is a great deal of personal satisfaction in mentoring others. Helping others develop in their careers, coaching, training and guiding them as they develop in their careers is a very rewarding experience.”
- What is one meaningful moment you have had as a mentor or mentee? – “In my position, I have been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to work with a lot of very talented people. Every time a mentee gets promoted or thanks me for all I did to help develop them over the years it represents a meaningful moment for me. I would like to share some mentees comments: “you’re the best mentor ever” ….” I have learned so much from you” “you are the best boss I have had in my entire career”… I actually had one mentee who actually received an attractive offer from a client and was thinking long and hard about whether to accept the offer. After much deliberation, she chose to stay with Protiviti and tells me and senior MD’s in our firm that the only reason she is still here is because of me and all I did in helping her develop at Protiviti. That’s a memorable and meaningful moment.”
- What is one piece of advice you’d give our interns? – “On day one at Protiviti, you are like a blank piece of paper. You can begin filling it with many rich and rewarding career experiences, so start writing now! Ask a lot of questions of our people, take part in job experiences, initiatives at the firm and seek out mentors to help guide you along the way. The firm and our people have so much to offer you, take advantage of every opportunity you have been given and enjoy yourself along the way!”