A special welcome to the July consulting class as they begin The Consultant Challenge in Chicago! We’re thrilled to have you join us in your local office in just a few weeks. Here at Protiviti, we like to train our consultants before placing them on clients, hence “The Consultant Challenge”. However, with so little time, there are a few things that won’t be mentioned at training and we want to make sure that you hear it! So, with a little help from our team around the nation, we have put together a list of “10 Things I Wish I Knew” when I began my career.
1) You can never learn enough Excel short-cuts & formulas. Take as many trainings on Excel as you possibly
can. There are trainings available for you at Protiviti University.
2) Proofread EVERYTHING.
3) Bring your lunch to work. You’ll be amazed how much you save!
4) Use the dry cleaner. It is way more effective than trying to do it yourself. Plus, it always looks nicer and
more presentable which is important when meeting with clients.
5) You get $50 to the Protiviti store, don’t forget to use it! There are some awesome things available to you
and it’s great to have some Protiviti “swag”.
6) Put yourself outside your comfort zone. Don’t be intimidated to inquire about things and ask meaningful
questions. This will help you grown within your role faster and also help to create a relationship with your
co-workers. Not to mention, if you are wondering about something, chances are high someone else is too!
7) Keep an umbrella and phone charger handy. You just never know! Investing is a good umbrella and extra
charger are very useful, especially when you’re traveling.
8) Comfortable shoes make all the difference. You’ll learn quickly that comfort outweighs style when you’re
9) Use your own credit card and sign up for Loyalty Programs. If you can, use your own credit card so you
can reap the benefits of points! Additionally, sign up for loyalty programs such as Delta, Marriott, etc. so
that you can build your rewards.
10) Engage yourself and network with your peers and co-workers. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people.
Showing initiative to meet people and interest in particular industries is a crucial part of starting your
We hope that you will find the above tips useful as you begin your career with Protiviti! Enjoy your time in Chicago and we will see you in your local office soon!