It’s a joyous day here in Protiviti Land, as today marks our ten-year anniversary as an organization. In offices around the world, we spent the day toasting, recognizing, and reminiscing. We are all proud of our achievements over the last decade.
All of this reflection prompted me to wonder, what else has been around since 2002? After some digging around on the interweb, including bastions of information such as Wikipedia and infoplease, the result is the following list (fittingly, it is a Top Ten).
Top Ten Things That Have Been Around Since 2002 (Besides Protiviti)
10) Crocs. Yup, it’s been ten years and I have yet to purchase a pair. I’m told they’re comfortable.
9) The Euro. Notes and coins began to circulate at the start of the year.
8) American Idol. Kelly Clarkson won the first season, establishing a legacy that has given us Carrie Underwood and Jordin Sparks, among others. And then there’s From Justin To Kelly… pretty sure that speaks for itself.
7) The Dollar Menu at McDonald’s was introduced in 2002. College students everywhere rejoiced.
6) Cloned Cats. The first cloned pet, CC the cat, was announced in February 2002 by researchers at Texas A&M University (whoop).
5) Friendster became the first viable social networking site in 2002, spurring a slew of development in social networking, leading to MySpace a few years later, and after that Facebook. Does anyone in our audience still have a Friendster account?
4) The .NET framework was first released. (That one was for my Technology audience. Respect.)
3) The planet Quaoar, located a short distance of 4 billion miles from Earth, was discovered in 2002 (although admittedly it has been in existence a bit longer).
2) My college degree. Sadly, my impending ten-year reunion is another reminder of the passage of time. This is particularly brutal when a recent campus hire points out that she also graduated in 2002 – from third grade.
1) Segways. I’m still not completely sure I understand them, but people have been dodging them on the sidewalks of Chicago and other cities since 2002.
All of this is a fun way to say that we’ve come a long way. Congratulations to all Protiviti employees and alumni on this special milestone. I can’t wait to see what the next decade will bring!